Why Cleopatra Bathed In Honey, And So Should We
Roman historian Dio Cassius described Cleopatra as “a woman of surpassing beauty”
Legend has it her beauty regime included a lot of honey… and we’re only just catching up with her.
Honey is an all-natural and versatile ingredient with three key qualities :
- It’s full of antioxidants, meaning it’s great for protecting against free radicals and even removing wrinkles and delaying the aging of skin.
- It has a history of healing. With anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, Honey acts as a solution to acne, eczema, and scarring by opening and unclogging pores. It helps to relieve itching and redness, reduces irritation, and even clears nappy rash.
- It’s moisturizing and leaves a glow.
Honey is due to take the beauty industry by storm, and we’ve listed our Top 5 Honey Beauty Regimes and Brands to get bring your glow back:
- Gold Bee offers an Organic Raw Clover Blossom Honey which can be used to consume or as a beauty product. Gold Bee pride themselves on only using Raw Honey.
Where many store-bought honeys are pasteurized or filtered, Gold Bees products are fresh out of the hive and “the first batch of the substance”.
Gold Bee are experts in Natural Beauty Products also offering a range of coconut and hemp seed products to combine with your honey beauty regime.
- The “Honey and Milk” bath was made famous by Egyptian Queen Cleopatra. Not only was she beautiful, but she was clearly also very intelligent.
She understood that the lactic acid in milk would act as an exfoliant on her skin penetrating the top layer to remove any dead skin cells and stimulate the growth of new cells. This combined with Honeys antibacterial and antioxidant properties were the perfect combination for clear and glowing skin.
How to make the perfect Honey and Milk Bath: Combine half a cup of Gold Bees Fair Trade Honey with three cups of milk into a hot bath. Sit back, relax, and let your skin soak up the goodness.
- The Lemon and Honey Face Mask is one I have used for years and swear by. Lemons are high in vitamin C and antioxidants. When combined with Honey, they are skin savior. They act as an exfoliant, blackhead remover and skin brightener whilst also leaving you with moisturized and glowing skin. I’m not one to stick to just using this on my face, once a week I’ll do this as a whole-body routine to ensure all my skin is getting the nutrients and care it needs.
How to Make a Honey and Lemon Face / Body Mask: Slice a lemon in half and remove any seeds. Add a tablespoon of honey onto one of the lemon halves and rub this onto your face gently. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes and then rinse with water. To use on your body, ensure the ratios are the same but enough for good skin everywhere!
- Honey can even be used as a makeup remover. Once mixed with Gold Bees Organic Coconut Oil, it creates the perfect texture for a Facial Cleanser and Make Up Remover. Not only will it remove makeup residue, but it will also unclog pores and moisturize your skin. The beauty of making your own skincare products means you know exactly what is going in and on your skin.
- Almonds are rich in vitamin-E, which nourishes and softens the skin. Combining Ground Almonds, a few drops of Almond oil or milk, and two tablespoons you have a body scrub like no other. The texture from the ground almonds exfoliates the skin, whilst the honey moisturizes and nourishes your skin with antioxidants.